Wednesday, August 31, 2016

SO NOW WHAT?

Yesterday I retired. I began cleaning houses 19 years ago with a service as a means to make some extra money for our oldest daughter's wedding but then it quickly turned into my own small business. Cleaning houses wasn't something I aspired to, I wanted to be a Ballerina when I was young. As clumsy as I am I can see why that didn't work out but I digress. Some people go on to college and pursue an education and settle into a career but I always wanted to be a wife and mother. Having a cleaning business was a good fit for our family because it gave me a lot of flexibility but it didn't offer many avenues for creative expression. One of the things I did to combat that, was to pray for the families that I was cleaning for and turn my profession into a ministry.

So what do I do now? Anything I want to!!

Dave and I at Jennifer's wedding, June 5, 1998


Over the months Dave and I have talked about serving God and how that will look once we make the move to the Mountainview Hideaway. Besides serving in church, we want to offer the home up as a retreat and Dave would like to exercise his passion for photography but other than that, we are going to play it by ear. This summer during the month of July, our Pastor did a series titled, "GOOD READS" where he interviewed authors whose books he had read and they had made an impact on him. He was interviewing Jennie Allen who wrote, "ANYTHING" and how as Believers sometimes we're a little scared to surrender ourselves and tell God that anything He wants us to do, we will do. How many times have we heard the saying,

"God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called."

As I sat in church that morning, I let my thoughts wander a bit about serving God once we move and God spoke to my spirit in the way that He does that I recognize immediately. He reminded me that once we relocate to Montana we have nothing hindering us from praying ANYTHING. All of the mistakes we've made or blown opportunities are in the past, we are starting with a clean slate. No longer having to "punch a clock" or having the responsibilities of a job, frees up our time. Our children are raised and have flown from the nest so there isn't the busyness that comes from raising a family. As clear as day I heard Him say,

"You are poised in a unique situation to serve me!"

For the record, when God speaks to you, it is a big deal! How will that pan out? I haven't got a clue. What I do know is that God never calls us to a task where He hasn't already made a way. My title, "So now what?" rings with renewed purpose and I am excited to see how He will use us in the next season of our lives!


1 comment: