Wednesday, January 14, 2015

NEW YEAR

We are now into January and it's exciting to be say, "We'll be retiring next year"; granted, it's November of next year but still...


Christmas 2014 has come and gone, decorations have been sorted and packed up, so now time to start thinking of my April trip. This will be my third April trip since we bought the house in August of 2012 and once again, I will load up the conversion van to overflowing and begin the LONG 1,800+ mile trip! I will take up some furniture, books and most, if not all of my crafting supplies. I've not had much opportunity to do my scrapbooking lately so I will go ahead and transition stuff up there. They will be stored off to the side until the workshop over the garage is remodeled the summer after we make our final move, transforming it into my studio. If money were no object, I would have loved to remodel the space over the garage into guest quarters, a sort of "bunkhouse"; but plumbing alone would have been a huge cost. I can't say I'm all that disappointed since I will have my very own creative space to feed my soul. While it's still two years off until it's remodeled, I've been pouring over ideas and doing some day dreaming...


The view from the driveway

These are the stairs leading up to my future "playroom"

Standing in the doorway and looking down the length of the room, window faces the driveway. The room measure 12x28 so I will have a great work area.

Standing at the opposite end of the room, looking back towards the door.

Last month, I went to the Square in McKinney, Texas about an hour's drive from here to have lunch with my best friend and to enjoy the Christmas decor. I stopped at an antique store where I struck up a conversation with the owner and we chatted about mounted animal heads, the Montana house and so forth. This shop was the kind we really like, a little bit of everything so you never know what kind of a treasure is awaiting you! (Unlike some of those foo foo ones where you look at the window and quickly deduce that this will not have anything of interest!) I wandered up the stairs and saw a beautiful antique vanity, really well built, in great shape and at a reasonable price. I've been wanting an antique vanity to use since the upstairs bathroom only has one sink and I am spoiled with having my own space. I mentioned it to Dave later that evening but never said anything more.


A few days later I told him that I might have to go back to that shop after the first of the year and see if it's still there. To which he responded, "Why don't we go this morning?" I was kind of stunned to be honest! I mean, it was not only a Saturday, but the Saturday BEFORE Christmas! We arrived at the shop and this time the owners husband was there; when Dave saw it upstairs he could tell why I had admired it. The owner came up and told us that it was from the Crouch Estate (a lot of McKinney history which I have researched) and they had bought the contents of the estate, including the chest, bed and nightstand. We turned around and when Dave saw the chest, HE was sold on it!!



These beautiful pieces were made for this lady when she was a young girl by her grandfather, who was a McKinney furniture maker. The contents of the estate were up for sale when this lady, now in her 90's, was moved into Assisted Living. While it's a bit sad, these pieces will be taken care of and cherished. If we hadn't already furnished the guest bedroom, we would have considered adding the bed and nightstand.


Dave and I went last weekend to McKinney and brought them home whereupon, I cleaned and conditioned them and will haul them up in April to the house. I love antiques but I also enjoy a personal connection. I will probably contact the Historical Society in McKinney to see if there are any photos of this lady when she was younger so I can put it with all of the information I have already discovered...

No comments:

Post a Comment